555 Laguardia Pl, New York, NY 10012

A few weeks ago I was purchasing flights through American Airlines (aa.com)

Upon purchasing I was presented with an offer for a credit card that provided a statement credit of $250 if you use it to purchase your flights. (AAdvantage)

I signed up for the offer and used the card immediately to purchase flights. I could have used several other cards I have with really good rewards, but I did not due to this offer.

When I received my first bill in the mail, I noticed I did not receive the advertised credit, which was the reason I signed up.

I called in to customer service, thinking they could easily help me, but apparently there was two cards accidentally created at the time of sign-up with the second card actually being used for the flights, and also the one I received in the mail.

Obviously I never wanted two cards.

I had to be escalated to a manager who said there was nothing they could do because there was two accounts created, and my offer was stuck on the "first account", which was never used.

I explained that I only used one of the cards to buy the flights ($800+) and I just wanted the duplicate card closed and my statement credit fixed.

They repeatedly told me that because there were two cards created, I am out of luck, and there's nothing they could do for me.

I explained over and over that the multiple accounts being created was an accidental circumstance that I never wanted to happen.

All they had to do was hear me out, realize that two cards were created in error, and hook me up with the credit as advertised.

So, I cancelled both cards and I am avoiding doing business with either Citi or American Airlines ever again.

This was a blatant slap in the face which should have been the beginning of a new customer-business relationship.

I had planned to use this card generously.

This was one of the most illogical and ridiculous things I have ever experienced, and a terrible way to start a new relationship with a customer.

From a managerial standpoint, my mind is completely blown. None of this makes any sense, that they would let someone who spends over $10,000 on credit cards per month due to a self-owned business completely walk away, so unhappy.

CITI DOES NOT CARE.

The employee who denied me is named Arnel and his work code is "NINJ61"

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

Comments

John N

Yes, that is very similar to the way they treated me! I think it is part of a strategy to lure customers and not meet their obligations.

In my case, it was air miles and a $100 credit which they reneged on. I see a class action suit in the making.

Citibank Reviews