Update by user Jun 26

I have a written response from citi dated 12th March '19 and another dated 31st May '19. The latter "regrets any inconvenience you may have experienced when you were incorrectly advised".

Both respectfully decline my request for credit.

Citi are 'hiding behind' the claim that I transferred monies into my account from another account I had no authority to use, however, the 'scammers' had given me written authority to use said account. Regardless, if my citi online account had shown the payments into my account remained 'PENDING/unsubstantiated' I would not have assumed the funds were in the account and would therefore not have purchased/shipped goods to the scammers.

Original review posted by user Jun 25

This whole experience has been unpleasant for me. I would have hoped that ‘my’ credit card company would have a) been more protective of me b) had much better customer support/facing processes.

Specifically:

Firstly, if my account had continued to show PENDING until Citi had validated it had received all monies paid into it AND that they could not be cancelled/deemed unauthorized/returned, I would not have shipped the purchased goods to the scammers and accordingly recovered my costs. Displaying PENDING against payments into my account and then removing it was VERY misleading.

Secondly, each interaction with Citi staff is not ‘customer centric’, your staff take notes and do not share them with their customers so we have no way of knowing what has been recorded or not recorded, regarding our interaction.

Thirdly, your processes/systems cannot be relied upon due to the fact Jeana confirmed to me on the 29th July that the second payment for $6572.50 was still in my account and it could not now be ‘reversed!’ In talking with Ms Sherman on the 31st July, she said these funds had been ‘returned’ at the same time the first payment was!

Forthly, at no point was I put in touch with a ‘specialized fraud’ department.

I have subsequently written to the current CEO (and previous) explaining "Whilst I appreciate it is I who has been ‘scammed’ and that in no way did Citi instigate it, I would ask that you consider what would have happened if your staff and processes had been more rigorous and client friendly.

The scam would not have been successful! I was misled by your systems and then your staff."

Not only did citi enable me being scammed, they have subsequently been charging me interest on the monies their misleading systems and staff caused me to lose!

Citibank should do the 'right thing' and reimburse me all lost funds and waive all interest fees!

To all Citibank current and future customers, DO NOT RELY UPON / BELIEVE what their systems display to you online!

Product or Service Mentioned: Citibank Credit Card.

Monetary Loss: $12000.

Citibank Cons: Customer service, Did not investigate fraudulent charges, Misleading balance information on my account, Long wait times to speak to a representative, No respect to customer requests.

• Citibank Complaint